LANAP®: A minimally invasive alternative to gum surgery
Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) is an FDA-approved procedure for treating moderate to severe gum disease. Instead of a scalpel, as in traditional periodontal surgery, it uses a precisely focused laser to remove the diseased gum tissue without affecting the healthy tissue. The laser not only destroys the bad bacteria, it also stimulates the body’s natural regenerative potential, usually eliminating the need for gum grafting around the teeth.
There are many benefits to the LANAP procedure
LANAP is comfortable.
The LANAP procedure causes much less discomfort than standard surgery, both during and after the procedure, as well as faster healing and predictable results.
LANAP is quick.
It takes two 2-hour visits and two follow up visits, compared to traditional surgery with the scalpel, which requires four sessions of about an hour apiece, plus several visits for suture removal and additional check-ups. Rather than weeks, there’s less than a 24 hour-recovery period with LANAP and most people feel good enough to eat anything they want right after the procedure.
LANAP is conservative.
Due to the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, there is maximum preservation of the original gum tissue. LANAP is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications, including Plavix or aspirin. LANAP provides long-lasting results. A study showed that after five years, 98% of LANAP-treated patients remained stable.
The LANAP Procedure
Complimentary Gum Treatment Consultation
Dr. Segulyev will perform a complimentary oral exam to see if you’re a candidate for LANAP. You’ll get an opportunity to discuss concerns, have treatment options explained and get any questions answered. If needed, we will take digital X-rays of your mouth to make a more precise diagnosis and to discover the extent of the gum disease. We will also take the time to explain the procedure thoroughly ahead of time, so there are no surprises on the day of treatment.
LANAP Treatment Day
When you return for your first LANAP Procedure treatment:
- We provide you with a local anesthetic to eliminate any discomfort. LANAP Procedure is much less traumatic than conventional surgery, but if desired, sedation can be used for a comfortable appointment.
- We use a soft-tissue laser with a fiber about the thickness of three hairs. This is inserted between your teeth and gums to eliminate bacteria and diseased gum tissue. Healthy gum tissue is not harmed in the process.
- We use an ultrasonic scaler and special hand instruments to remove tartar from the root surfaces.
- The laser is used to finish cleaning the gum pocket and to assist in sealing the pocket so that new germs are unable to enter.
- The gum heals and re-attaches to the clean surface of the tooth root.
The procedure is quick. It takes just two 2-hour sessions, or you have the option to have it all done in one treatment. Most people return to work the next day.